Grant Writing - ConsultantCompany: Darkness to Light
Date Posted: January 23, 2018
TITLE: Grant Writing - Consultant
SUPERVISED BY: President and CEO
SUMMARY: Darkness to Light, an international non-profit organization with a mission to empower adults to prevent child sexual abuse, is seeking a Grant Writing Consultant for 40-60 hours per month.
The Grant Writer is primarily responsible for developing and writing grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations, and will persuasively communicate Darkness to Light’s mission and programs to potential funders. Reporting to the President and CEO, the Grant Writer will assemble and submit grant requests, establish and facilitate Darkness to Light relationships with foundation contacts, conduct prospect research, and maintain a calendar of submissions and other deadlines in coordination with President and CEO.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Conduct prospect research and develop an annual grants strategy;
- Develop and write grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations, persuasively communicating the organization’s mission and programs to potential funders;
- Manage the internal grant writing process, including meetings which capitalize on staff knowledge and technical contributions;
- Communicate with potential partners on ongoing grant co-applications;
- Assemble and submit grant requests, including letters, proposals, budgets, and presentations;
- Coordinate and follow up on the progress of submitted proposals;
- Support the Corporation and Foundation Manager in establishing and maintaining personal contact and relationships with foundation contacts and program officers;
- Ensure prompt acknowledgement of foundation gifts;
- Maintain calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines, and reports;
- Prioritize projects to keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines, and manage supplemental material required for proposals.
- Provide writing support for major donor and individual contribution letters and acknowledgements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience – seven to ten is preferred – in research, grant writing, and non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to write successfully crafted grant proposals and reports in a clear and compelling manner.
- References which confirm substantial funds raised.
- Excellent writing, analytical, and research skills are essential.
- Ability to work well independently, be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly organized.
- Experience using online databases and other sources to locate biographical, financial, and philanthropic information.
- A high level of computer literacy required, including familiarity with Foundation Center databases.
- Proficient with computers and Microsoft Office product suite.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Effective and efficient at handling multiple tasks and projects.
- Four-year degree from accredited college or university.
Please send all inquiries and resumes to:
D2L Grant Writing – Consultant Search
c/o Darkness to Light
1064 Gardner Road, Suite 210
Charleston, SC 29407
Darkness to Light provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons. Darkness to Light does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status.
The language used in this document does not create an employment contract between the contractor and Darkness to Light. This document does not create any contractual rights or entitlements. Darkness to Light reserves the right to revise the content of this document, in whole or in part. No promises or assurances, whether written or oral, which are contrary to or inconsistent with the terms of this paragraph, create any contract of employment.