Part-time Council DirectorCompany: Girls on the Run Charleston
Date Posted: January 3, 2018
PART-TIME COUNCIL DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
GIRLS ON THE RUN CHARLESTON – SOUTH CAROLINA
20 hours per week during core working hours of 11AM-3PM Mon-Fri, occasional nights and weekends
The Council Director is a highly-skilled nonprofit professional that provides leadership, vision and direction to the council and the broader Girls on the Run organization. The Council Director represents the council to the public, leads organizational development and strategic planning, optimizes financial performance, oversees program delivery in the designated territory, builds donor relationships and oversees personnel. The Council Director works closely with the council Board of Directors, Girls on the Run International Headquarters and is responsible for expanding systems and procedures to accomplish the mission and reach the strategic goals set forth by the board.
The Council Director develops organizational strategy, sound practices and supportive relationships, both internally and externally, resulting in cooperative and effective collaborations that further the mission of Girls on the Run International.
The Girls on the Run® Council Director (CD) must possess a passion for, and commitment to, improving the lives and opportunities of girls in third through eighth grades. The Girls on the Run program provides a safe and interactive way to learn about healthy living which includes an introduction and education on important topics such as goal-setting, cooperation, healthy decision-making, and self-respect, while training for a 5K event. The innovative curriculum teaches girls to listen and open up while also encouraging them to commit to a healthy lifestyle, and harness the inner strength that they possess. Our important mission is accomplished by giving girls the tools to make positive choices for a healthy body and mind, while reducing the many risks they face today.
The Girls on the Run Council Director is responsible for the overall implementation of the Girls on the Run mission. The Council Director reports to the Girls on the Run local Board of Directors. The Council Director’s job responsibilities include developing and implementing the overall strategy and vision for the Girls on the Run program and all organizational and operational aspects of Girls on the Run including its administration, financial operations, revenue generation, program development and activities, personnel management and strategic planning. Some of the key responsibilities falling within these areas include:
Program and Staff Management
- Attracting, developing and retaining staff (include site liaisons and coaches)
- Developing and fostering a strong and open dialogue with the Board of Directors and Girls on the Run International
- Maintaining appropriate staffing structure; overseeing recruiting, training, development, and evaluation of staff.
Program Development and Strategic Planning
- Planning, in coordination with the Board and staff, for the direction and leadership of the overall program
- Cultivating relationships with coaches, donors, parents, participants, sponsors and volunteers
- Acting as ambassador to represent Girls on the Run’s mission and programs
Ensure that the organization is in compliance with all laws and guidelines governing nonprofit organizations and the Girls on the Run International Membership Agreement, Policies and Guidelines.
- Developing and implementing necessary policies and procedures
- In coordination with the Board, Identifying and planning for infrastructure growth to parallel growth of program
- Develop relationships with the local media and serve as the Girls on the Run primary contact to market the program and build additional community support
- Effectively develop business systems and strategies and ensure appropriate implementation.
- Maintain ethical standards and accountability, manage risk, perform due diligence, and implement operational best practices.
Fund development – with appropriate staff, committees and board
- Develop diverse funding streams and long-term plans to best support the mission and goals of the organization.
- Oversee fundraising efforts including sponsorship, donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, grants, special events, etc.
- Actively participate in donor cultivation and solicitation.
- Develop collaborative projects/partnerships with other community providers.
- Partner with Girls on the Run International to maximize Cause Related Marketing and other national opportunities locally.
Finance – with Treasurer, finance staff and appropriate committees
- Ensure optimal financial performance of the council.
- Maintain processes for proper record keeping and internal financial controls.
- Assist Board of Directors with development and management of annual budget.
- With the Treasurer and finance staff, review and report all financial activities to the board on a regular basis.
- Review analysis of financial activities (income and expense) to discern trends, identify areas of improvement, address problems and develop forecasts.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable engaging in both strategic activities as well as taking a hands-on role with regards to program execution and administrative issues.
- BA or BS degree
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience with organizational management
- Demonstrated ability of building and leading teams
- Passion for Girls on the Run’s mission and the ability to comprehend and effectively communicate issues surrounding empowerment, self-esteem, body image and whole-person health
- Outstanding communication skills in multiple environments and with a range of audiences (internal and external)
- Demonstrated experience setting and managing budgets and financial forecasting
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and make efficient decisions
- Flexible and adaptable
- Advanced degree in related field
- Strategic planning experience
- Experience with Girls on the Run (or other similar youth or wellness programs)
- Non-profit management experience
- Fundraising experience
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Connections to the local community
Please send cover letter, resume and two references by January 23rd to Interim Council Director, Samantha Shirley, at firstname.lastname@example.org.