Membership ManagerCompany: South Carolina Aquarium
Date Posted: April 10, 2018
The Membership Manager is responsible for the design and implementation of a comprehensive membership program that includes acquisitions, renewals, programming and systems. The Membership Manager will achieve strong growth in acquisitions and retention; will develop and implement programs and events to create member engagement and loyalty; conduct ongoing market research to continually improve the membership offering; and be responsible for continuous system and process improvements to create the best guest experience and an efficient work environment. Responsible for all aspects of the Adopt-an-Animal program plan. Lead the development, implementation and promotion of membership communications, programs and special events that support the organization’s mission.
- Manage the Aquarium’s Membership Program and develop annual and long-term strategies to meet organizational goals. In collaboration with Marketing & Strategic Communications, conceptualize and implement successful campaigns and promotions that include acquisitions, renewals to retain and recruit members and promote gift membership purchases.
- Manage the annual operating budget for membership programs, ensuring revenue goals are met while managing expenses. Develop emerging ideas and trends to identify additional opportunities for revenue and membership growth.
- Work closely with Marketing & Strategic Communications on all membership materials; and ensure appropriate representation within the Aquarium and around the community.
- Cultivate member interest and retention by organizing and hosting education programming and member events. Create and plan overall member programming in collaboration with the Membership Team, other departments and external partners.
- Develop and execute an annual plan for the Adopt-an-Animal program. Responsible for all aspects of Adopt-an-Animal fulfillment.
- Works collaboratively with the Membership Coordinator, IT, Guest Services, and Advancement Services Coordinator to ensure data health in SiriusWare and Raiser’s Edge; and that SW and SW E-Commerce is functioning optimally. Ensure that regular system and report audits are run; and corrective measures are taken. Assist in the development of new necessary reports. Continually assess and make recommendations to continually improve processes and improve system efficiency and efficacy.
- Ensure that essential membership business process documentation is compiled and updated.
- Work collaboratively with Marketing & Strategic Communications to develop appropriate content for member e-blasts, Membership Facebook page, and the member magazine.
- Act as back up to the Membership Coordinator during times of high volume and during days off.
- Assist with membership customer service issues and respond to membership inquiries in a timely fashion.
- In collaboration with members of the Advancement Team, explore and implement strategies to upsell members to Conservation Steward, Sea Turtle Guardian or other giving programs.
- Assist with Advancement events, as appropriate.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a fluent understanding of Aquarium programs. Support the mission by participating in Aquarium sponsored programs and events on a regular basis. Assist with the promotion of the organization in the community. Represent the Aquarium at public events and functions.
- Maintain a customer service demeanor at all times.
- Work with the Marketing & Strategic Communications to ensure consistent organizational branding.
- Adhere to the South Carolina Aquarium Policies and Procedures.
- Other duties as requested by the Sr. Mgr. AC&GP
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, SiriusWare, and Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge is preferred.
- Experience with Silverpop or MyEmma (email communication) is desired.
- Experience planning and implementing programs and events
- Experience managing others
- Excellent verbal, written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. Be able to deal with a variety of customer service issues with maturity and professionalism.
- Must be a detail and goal oriented, enthusiastic individual able to exercise independent judgment in completing tasks, prioritizing, and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational skills; able to manage multiple projects and move quickly from one to another while maintaining thorough records. Ability to be flexible and balance competing priorities.
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or a related field, and 3+ years related experience in managing a successful membership program is desired.
Requires average walking, standing, bending, stooping, crouching, sitting, kneeling, balancing, pushing and pulling, crawling, climbing ladders, computer and phone tasks in a normal office environment.
- Normal office environment
- Occasional need to work weekends and nights
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel classified.
The Aquarium is an "at-will" employer, and as such, employment with the Aquarium is not for a fixed term, or definite period and may be terminated at the will of either party, with or without cause, and without prior notice.