Gift OfficerCompany: South Carolina Aquarium
Date Posted: December 6, 2017
- Work closely with the Advancement team to create and manage a program for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of members of Conservation Stewards and the Watershed Society, targeting annual supporters donating at the $300 - $9,999 levels. The Gift Officer will also work to identify conversions/upgrade opportunities and major gift opportunities ($10,000+).
- Develop and deliver timely and relevant Advancement communications and Watershed Campaign updates via direct mail, e-mail, personal notes, in-person meetings and phone calls to all levels of the Aquarium donor community.
- Develop and achieve annual revenue goals, maintaining a regular and robust schedule of face-to-face solicitations, quarter-by-quarter.
- Work closely with the Advancement Events Coordinator to design strategic cultivation and stewardship events both on-site and in target regions.
- Responsible for the execution of benefits for Conservation Stewards and Watershed Society, with logistical support from the Advancement Events Coordinator.
- Track donors and prospects using the Raiser’s Edge ensuring accurate record-keeping, notes, acknowledgements, follow-up strategies, etc. are appropriately documented.
- Work with the Advancement Systems Coordinator to utilize the Aquarium’s donor database to proactively identify lapsed donors, assess donor capacity, and properly record mid-level gifts.
- Stewardship of members of the Nautilus Society, the Aquarium’s planned giving donor circle.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a fluent understanding of, and the ability to articulate Aquarium programs. Support the mission by participating in Aquarium sponsored programs and events on a regular basis. Assist with the promotion of the organization in the community. Represent the Aquarium at public events and functions.
- Follow South Carolina Aquarium Gift Acceptance Guidelines, Policies and Procedures. Provide input on updates as needed. Keep informed about the development field generally, and especially the tax aspects of charitable gifts and new legislation rulings affecting such gifts.
- Coordinate volunteer support on an as needed basis for projects.
- Maintain a customer service demeanor at all times. Respond to donors with the appropriate level of urgency. Ask questions to identify donor’s needs or expectations in a pleasant and respectful manner. In completing tasks, continually consider the impact of those actions on the donor, and is flexible to accommodate donor’s needs.
- Work with the Marketing Department to ensure consistent organizational branding.
- Adhere to the South Carolina Aquarium Policies and Procedures.
- Other duties as requested.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge is preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Must be a detail and goal oriented, enthusiastic individual able to exercise independent judgment in completing tasks, prioritizing and meeting deadlines.
- Must be willing to perform tasks not explicitly described here, but respond nimbly and cooperatively to diverse assignments.
- Demonstrated organizational skills; able to manage multiple projects and move quickly from one to another while maintaining thorough records.
- Demonstrated proficiency in securing mid-level gifts from individuals.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three to five years related experience in non-profit fundraising