Seasonal Ticket Office Manager (Nov. 1, 2017 - April 24, 2018)Company: Historic Charleston Foundation
Date Posted: October 2, 2017
Become an integral part of Historic Charleston Foundation’s 71st annual Festival of Houses and Gardens. This premier cultural event attracts visitors from all over the world for the award-winning house and garden tours which showcase the distinctive architecture, history, gardens and culture of Charleston. Join us to share the ambience of the Old and Historic District with visitors, and learn more about Charleston’s rich history in the process.
Historic Charleston Foundation, founded in 1947, is a not-for-profit, 501 (c) 3 preservation organization. It is the mission of Historic Charleston Foundation to champion the historic authenticity, cultural character, and livability of the Charleston region through advocacy, stewardship, and community engagement.
The Ticket Office Manager will be responsible for office set up, staffing, training, daily accounting, customer service and managing a team of ticket office associates and volunteers. This seasonal position job is part-time in November, December, January, and February, and is full- time March through mid-April. Weekend work is necessary March through mid-April, and attendance is mandatory March 16-18, 2018. Must be able to commit to the position through April 2018. (*The Festival’s last event day is April 21, 2018, and the manager should complete the seasonal ticket office closing procedures by April 24, 2018.)
Previous Experience and Required Skills:
Minimum qualifications include an Associate’s degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school and one year of closely related experience in customer facing ticket sales or event sales. Manager must have a desire to deliver excellent customer service with a sense of urgency, managerial experience, and strong working knowledge of computer programs. Experience in Altru is highly desired.
Essential Job Functions:
- Must be detail-oriented and very organized with the ability to manage multiple details at one time.
- Must be able to offer excellent customer service over the phone or in person to all customers in all types of situations.
- Must set service example for other ticket office staff to follow.
- Must be able to work under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Work as a leader in a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are extremely important.
- Ability to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to climb stairs, while lifting/carrying up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to travel as necessary between locations to pick up and deliver supplies at various ticket office locations.
- Must have solid working experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, email, and database management programs.
- Must have intermediate math skills.
- Be familiar with and able to answer questions about Historic Charleston Foundation, the Festival of Houses & Gardens, the Charleston Antiques Show, HCF’s Museum Houses and retail locations.
- Sell event tickets and process customer orders in Altru, a web-based, non-profit management program. Execute daily closing and reconciliation procedures.
- Staff, train, and manage other ticket office staff, including both paid and volunteer workers, in Altru, customer service, and Foundation events and locations.
- Ensure excellent customer service and troubleshoot as necessary.
- Meet weekly with Marketing Manager to review staffing, supplies, customer situations, etc.
- Inform all ticket office staff of event changes, sold-out events, and procedural updates in a timely manner.
- Deliver supplies when necessary to all ticket locations.
- Set-up ticket office prior to seasonal opening. Ensure each work station has a working phone, computer terminal, pertinent information of Foundation events and visitor information.
- Maintain updated message on voice mail system, including after-hours messaging, holidays and busy phone times.
- Establish, maintain and oversee the function all off-site offices (108 Meeting Street, CVB, and Market Shop) during open hours and event times. Ensure each location has the proper information on Foundation events, visitor information and order processing needs.
- Assist in hiring and training ticket office personnel according to Ticket Office Manual.
- Establish work schedule for ticket office staff at all locations while staying within budget.
- Ensure ticket office staff is fluent in all methods of customer orders (walk-ups, phone and online).
- Ensure all payments are collected when orders are placed.
- Troubleshoot errors with payments, orders and reconciliations.
- Inventory and operate the distribution of tour passports.
- Assist with evaluation of ticket office performance, staff, functions, and sales at end of season.
The Ticket Office Manager works primarily in an office environment.
The employment relationship with Historic Charleston Foundation (HCF) is at-will and can be terminated by either you or HCF at any time, for any reason. Neither this form, nor any oral or written policy or procedure, nor any representative by any HCF employee, supervisor or officer can or will change the at-will nature of your employment.
tO Apply: To be considered for this position, please send a resume AND a cover letter to Blair Phillips at BPhillips@HistoricCharleston.org.